Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Imperfect Quilter

Good morning,
I told you that I would start putting up some quilting tips and/or answering some questions about various topics related to quilting. So here goes the first of what will, hopefully, become a steady stream. In order to do this, I need you to help...so post your comments, questions, etc. Thank You.

My thought this morning deals with the ROTARY MATS!!!

When was the last time you purchased a new mat? Does your mat collect fuzz in the cracks? When you run your hand over the mat, is it smooth, or do you feel the cuts. While these mats are very durable, they do wear out and will definitely impede your ability to get accurate cuts. For each groove you feel, you can bet you might be off as much as 1/64 of an inch. While that doesn't sound like a lot....multiply that by 64 seams and you are off by 1". So, bite the bullet...purchase a new mat .... of course, on sale....and it won't be nearly as painful.

Are some mats better than others....it is personal choice, but I can tell you one that is really a lousy mat and it is those white ones with blue lines sold at the Craft Fairs. They are wonderful in that they offer a variety of cool sizes......but as to their durability, they are lousy. They are not made for serious cuts. Personal favorites....Olfa and Fiskars mats. The Gingher mat is nifty in that it is truly 2 sided. Wear it out on one side and simply turn it over. They are, however, more expensive, but you get twice the cutting from them.

By the way, don't throw your old mat away...turn it over and use it to cut curve pieces or protect your table tops and let the kids paint, putter and paste to their hearts content.

Until next time,
Your Imperfect Quilter

Please share any thoughts or comments regarding this post.

2 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS LIKE THE ADVISE YOU GIVE US AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR KNOWLEDGE I KNOW YOU CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM I HAVE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW I CAN STOP BEING A SCOOCHER WHEN I SEW AND END UP LESS THAN 1/4" SEAMS.

    CHRIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chris, for your comment. My thoughts are it is better to be scant than fat when it comes to a quarter inch seam allowances. My first question, do you have a quarter inch foot on your machine? If not, it will be most helpful if you purchase one. Another way, is to get a piece of graph paper, 1/4" grid. Cut off a small amount, place your needle at the intersection of one of the squares, then bring the line down to mark the center needle position and measure over to your right 1/4" and draw a line to mark it on your machine bed with a permanent marker or with tape. Personally, I have found that tape does shift, but putting a mark on the machine bed, gives you a good visual. Hopefully, this will help. Let me know...Thanks again for commenting.

    ReplyDelete